The following information is based upon a recent email interview that Steven was kind enough to do for me:
1) What is your birthdate?
How tall are you? Are you married?
Birthdate: 16 March 1951
I am 5' 11". I am married.
2) What project are you currently working on, besides Beastmaster?
Working on Crocodile Dundee 3. And a modern movie version of Macbeth called Hellhound.
3) What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I enjoy Horse riding, Jet skiing, Tennis, and the Gym.
4) If you could live any place in the world, where would it be? Why?
I would love to live exactly where I am, in beautiful Brisbane Queensland. Because it's so green, has a beautiful river, mountains, beaches not far away, and very friendly people.
5) If you couldn't be an actor, what profession would you choose? Why?
I would love to have been an opera singer, it is the ultimate experience theatrically, because you can overact as much as you like and nobody minds.
6) Have you ever performed on stage in America? If so, when and where?
Yes I played Benedick in a production of Much ado about nothing. At the John Anson theatre in LA.That was in 1990.
7) Do you prefer stage acting to movies, or television? Why?
They have there different qualities but stage acting does allow an interaction with the audience that is immediate and sometimes gratifying sometimes scary. It is truly walking the tightrope, anything can happen.
8) Regarding your role in Beastmaster, how did you get the part? Did you audition, or was it offered to you?
I auditioned for the role of King Zad at the warner bros studio here on the Gold Coast.
9) Are we going to see more of you next season as King Zad, less, or about the same (recurring status)? I have read previews regarding next season's plot....can you tell me anything about changes your character will undergo?
I wish I knew what changes will be made to Zad, maybe he will become a good guy for a while, but I'm not sure if that would last. We'll see.
10) What do you enjoy most about working on Beastmaster? Do you have a favourite scene or episode? Why?
I love walking into a fantasy world everyday surrounded by fabulous people. Our crew and cast are outstanding, they work incredibly hard and yet there is a humour constantly bubbling around the set and production office. It is easily the best bunch of people I have ever worked with, and it goes without saying they are all highly talented. I particularly enjoyed the episode called Chameleon because my youngest son played Jeremiah in it and stole the scene from me!
11) Your castmates on Beastmaster have said many wonderful things about your acting abilities as well as your personality. Can you share some of your thoughts on them as well?
Daniel Goddard. NUMERO UNO! Daniel has been a physical inspiration for me. When I first saw him I was just knocked out by his physical excellence. So much so that I have spent most of this past year getting into shape at the gym 4 days a week 2 hours a day. Hopefully I can provide him with more of a challenge in future fights, although I don't think I'll ever win! Daniel is a joy to work with, his humour, dedication and professionalism belie his youth. I am full of admiration for him. Just his stamina alone (getting up at 3 in the morning and getting home again at 8 most nights would destroy lesser beings or at least make them very tetchy...but not Daniel, I have never heard a complaint from him.I truly believe that he is destined for great things. Apart from being a great actor he is a great bloke, I respect him enormously.
Jackson makes me laugh on and off screen, he has a tremendous comic timing. I wish my timing was as good. Talking of timing I unfortunately connected a fist with his mouth in one scene, I was so shocked I was tempted to stop and see if he was alright. I'm glad I did'nt he told me if I had stopped he would have connected with me for ruining a good take. He is all method!!! I love working with him and hopefully we shall be working on the Macbeth together later in the year. I have this theory that Zad is really his father%*&?
Monica. lovely monica. A funny down to earth goddess. We have become very good friends. She visits with us and spends time with our family who all adore her.
Graham. A joke is never very far from graham's lips. he sees humour in everything and shares it generously with all around him. I am proud to be a part of a show in which he is involved. A great man.
Anything else you could add about yourself would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for anything you have time to answer.
Steven added that he is a devoted family man, with 5 children ranging in age from 19 to 2!
Note: I am currently trying to get my hands on the August issue of TV Zone magazine, in which Steven gives an interview.
As soon as I have it, I will get it up here!